TWO 4 Win V0.11.0 Feature Request: Timeline cue points and playback loop

I would like to be able to:

Playback a recording between two adjustable cue points on a loop please. Not sure if this is already possible?

This would be useful to provide a test harness data when trying to identify performance issues, latency etc within my workflow or create a lighting sequence within Touch Designer and rendered in Unreal.

Currently using Win 11 Pro 23H2

1 Like

Thank you for the request!

This is an unusually easy one, indeed I’ve added the feature already, it’s enabled by pressing the rightmost button on the timelines transport control row right next to the recording button.

I hope it works as you intend, and if not, please let me know!

Great I pressed the button and the first cue point appered, I found the other one and dragged this to the end position.

When I pressed play it returned to the first cue point and stopped. Is the expected result this keeps playing between the two cue points as this is my requirement please?

If so I can re-test in the latest version.

I retested in version 0.12.3, the UI works as expected, however the outbound data seems to stop when the play head has reached the end of the cue point and stops when the play returns to the start cue point.

Here’s a video to show my result.

The expected result is the data would continue to flow as long as the clip is playing.

1 Like

Ouch, that’s very much a regression bug indeed, thank you for the report, I’ll prioritize the fix over any new features!

I just tried reproducing this locally and for me looping works fine - but I imagine it’s under specific conditions then!

If you can you share your file with which you recorded the above I will use it to diagnose the issue.

Thanks again!

Ok thanks for checking, here’s the file.

TWO Boiler Plate 0.2.zip (22.4 KB)

1 Like

Great, with your file I can reproduce it - I’ll get to fixing it!

In the meanwhile, I noticed that the bug only manifests itself if the end of the loop point is before the clip runs out of messages. So if it makes sense in your testing to have the loop point right after the last message until the bug is fixed, that’s the workaround for now.

Ok thanks let me test that.

Since writing I’ve also noticed that the messaging timing is off, since build 0.12.2, which unit-tests didn’t catch. I’m fixing that now.

I was noticing something wasn’t right, as I was having different test results. I decided I would retest in the morning but glad you also noticed something with the timing is off.

1 Like

There, now with 0.12.4 timing precision is restored:

https://www.controlmedia.art/two_win/TWO-0.12.4.exe

The bug, of looping not working if the end-point is before the last message, is still present, but of course the above mentioned workaround of ensuring the clip length doesn’t exceed the end-point position, will work.

Ok thank you l will try/test the new version.

1 Like

Meanwhile I’m building an upload for 0.12.5 right now too, that will fix the looping issue.

There, now there’s a new upload addressing also these:

• Very rarely, looping in timelines can stop.
  • Looping fails to send messages after the first iteration, if the ending loop-point is before the last message in the clip. The temporary workaround was to use a clip where there are no more messages after the end loop-point.

https://www.controlmedia.art/two_win/TWO-0.12.5.exe

I hope that this concludes the regression bugs that the massive refactors of the last months caused. I had to make drastic changes to really get a big improvement in performance for timelines and messaging. But with this I think it should be nearing the end and I can go back to adding features, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your patience with the bugs!

1 Like

Great thanks for the update, I’ve tested recording a new clip with the same project and it loops no problem, even if the ending loop-point is before the last end point, but I’ll run some more tests as I use the application.

1 Like